The Canadian Association of Law Libraries (CALL) has roots dating back to the late 1950's when several Canadian law librarians informally began meeting at annual meetings of the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) to discuss matters of mutual interest. On July 5, 1963, CALL became a formal association with its own Constitution and By-Laws. The first President of CALL was Marianne Scott, with Eunice Beeson acting as Vice-President and Rosemary McCormick acting as Secretary. CALL also became a chapter of AALL in 1963 and continued as a chapter of AALL until 1971. CALL is currently incorporated as a federal corporation under the Not-For-Profit Corporations Act.
Over the years, there have been a number of articles on the history of the association published in the Canadian Law Library Review. All the articles are available on HeinOnline. CALL members have free access to the publication on HeinOnline via the Members Publication page in the Members only zone of the website.
---, "The Canadian Association of Law Libraries / Association canadienne des bibliothèques de droit: A Continuing History, 1988-2012, [Part IV]" (2014) 39 Canadian Law Library Review 13-22
The above objects of CALL are excerpted from the official CALL March 1981 incorporation document often called the CALL "Corporate Charter". The objects of the association have not changed since that date.
CALL currently has approximately 400 members representing a wide variety of law library interests across Canada. It provides a forum for the exchange of information and ideas among members, fosters cooperation among Canadian law libraries, and plays an active role in promoting access to legal information for all Canadians.